The Parlor of My Dotage
In the parlor of my dotage
I have a grand piano where
the ghost of Shostakovich
plays 'Chopsticks' every night
while I in my recliner
drink vodka in pajamas
and cheer old Shosty on.
Tonight the concert's interrupted
when Granny in her nightcap
dashes from her bedroom
and shouts in high soprano
'Send old Shosty home.
I need a good night's sleep.
I have Mahjong in the morning.'
Through my bullhorn I shout back,
'I won't send old Shosty anywhere
until his concert ends at dawn.
Then I'll put my parka on and saddle up
the horses and take the master home.
Old Shosty swears that global warming
is no problem there at all.'
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Parlor of My Dotage by Donal Mahoney )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Nymphs And Shepherds, Thomas Shadwell
Poem of the Day
- From what tall lie am I, Madrason writer
- Out Of Body, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Honour my feelings!, Rekha Mandagere
- The End is Coming, michael hagwood
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez