Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen
The Past of Meaning
The past came at the white dawn
Wearing a soiled hat
And a black dress.
The past came to streets that it knows
As a woman knows her hoopoe
And the place in which she submitted nightingales to death.
The past behind the door, is it …?
Easy as the ladder
When a child attends so excited with death and oblivion?
The past is behind the door
While I am, for ages, wakeful as a broken clock
But the past dare not enter
And I dare not open the door for guests I do not know.
The past sat behind the door
It ate behind the door, slept and woke
At dawn, it thought of nothingness for long
It married and practiced its blue habit.
Behind me is the door, before me is the door.
Behind me is the sense, before me is the sense.
Through the hole in the door
I see him getting up from death
Walking to and fro,
To and fro and talking nonsense.
I arrest myself.
At a white dawn like a knife
I saw the soiled hat and the black dress.
I remembered I was behind the door for countless ages
As broken clocks I remained wakeful,
Catching the past with my palm
I stab him with the knife.
I choke him happily with death's breeze
Happily as the sunbeam
Happily with my moaning
Happily with the blackness of my blood.
Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Past of Meaning by Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen )
- Mother-land I weep for thee, Joseph Ogbonna
- Mother Teresa and I, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- Still Here, silenced work
- A Village Girl, Naveed Khalid
- A Song Of Harp, Naveed Khalid
- An African Woman I am... a Blessing or a.., Vivian Muciri
- You are Everywhere!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Work: The Noun that Verbs the World!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- oh my dear, sushant jha
- Dangerous Curiosity, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)