Bijay Kant Dubey
The Pre-1947 Period of Indian English Poetry
Where are they, where their books to be found,
On which dusty shelf or rack of the library,
Where those collections of yellow and pale pages,
Where those poets,
Can you tell me about them,
The pre-independence time practitioners of nondecript poesy
When it was not Indian English poetry?
Dhan Gopal Mukherjee (Rajani,1961, and Sandhya,1917):
A.F.Khabardar (The Silken Tassel,1918):
Sir Nizmat Jung (Sonnets,1918):
N.V.Thadani (Triumph of Delhi,1916, and Krishna’s Flute 1919):
S.S.L.Chordia (Seeking,1925; Chitor,1928):
T Basker (Passing Clouds,1932):
R.Appalaswami (Songs and Lyrics,1935) ,
Who were they, what were their works about,
Who to tell us?
R.A.Mishra (Life’s Fantasia,1938):
S.R.Dongerkery (The Ivory Tower,1943):
Nilima Devi (When The Moon Died,1944):
Subho Tagore (Rubble,1936, and Flames of Passion,1944) ,
Sabita Devi (Phantasies,1953):
The authors with their books in brackets,
I want to know them.
Fredoon Kabraji (A Minor Georgian’s Swan Song,1945):
Cyril Modak (Jawaharlal Nehru and Other Poems,1946):
Lotika Basu (White Dawns Awakening,1950):
Nanalal Dalpatram (The Perennial Fruit,1953):
K.S.Ramaswami Sastri (A Vision of India,1954):
Elsa Kazi (Terrestrial and Celestial Echoes,1960) ,
I just hear about them,
Without any inforamtion.
Burjor B.Paymaster (The Last Farewell,1960):
Karan Singh (Welcome, The Moonrise,1965):
G.B.Ramamchandra Rao (Wings and Warbles,1965):
R.M.Challa (Beauty and the Poet,1969):
Gopal Singh (The Unstruck Melody,1969) ,
Jut the names are there and the critics silent about them.
Bijay Kant Dubey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Pre-1947 Period of Indian English Poetry by Bijay Kant Dubey )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Edwin Arlington Robinson
(22 December 1869 – 6 April 1935)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Price, Nassy Fesharaki
- Fuck You, Michael Webb
- The marvelous designer., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Stories We Tell Ourselves, Michael Mira
- The catastrophe., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Peace One Day, Lyn Paul
- 'THE INFANT'S WAIL', Princewill Umunnakwe
- daggers of bayonets, pittbull pittman
- The Flow of Destiny, Sandra Feldman
- Gratitude to parents, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.