The Raven's Thoughts
The remembrance of a death, beloved Lenore’s discontinued breath—
The aberrant pleasure that it brings to an obscure little bird like me.
A man of disillusionment and despair unknowingly awaits my company,
So I tap tap tap on his chamber door redundantly.
His bellows break and his mind awakes to the possibility
That outside his door is his adored Lenore,
With her decorum and divinity.
So somber he was to sight a bird of satanic spirit and spite.
How I snickered and I sneered at the melancholy that reappeared
As the man’s dispiritedness and delirium visibly intensified
Due to the plan that oh so cleverly I mechanized
After sighting her demise and noticing his clamorous cries.
So swiftly he opened his door for Lenore,
And out his fervent love was ‘bout to pour.
But once that door swung wide open like his aforementioned emotions,
I detected a look in his eyes that let me know he was petrified.
But so hastily did he conceal it underneath great enragement
As all he saw was death and darkness upon his chamber door;
For I was seated atop the window sill, watching a man whom I abhor.
A man who thought that he was thinking or dreaming a dream while he was sleeping,
When it was only me so softly breathing the faintest word “Lenore! ”
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Raven's Thoughts by Mary Barnett )
- Futurism Today, Peter Jay Shippy
- Soul, Peter Jay Shippy
- Shadow of Death, Tosin Abegunde
- Graceful ghost rag, Peter Jay Shippy
- The State-Progress Of Ill, Lord Edward Herbert of Cherb ..
- On the perilous effects of buried alien .., Peter Jay Shippy
- To Heal a Weakling Child, Peter Jay Shippy
- Reading Rilke's Sonnets to Children, Peter Jay Shippy
- Sonnet on the Author's Birthday, Robert Burns
- Promises, Ahmed Tawfik
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)