Dr John Celes
The Weird Cloud
I saw a cloud that looked so strange last night,
Which grew bigger in size with fleeting time;
It changed its hue from white to grayish black,
And moved towards me making sky opaque!
The starry sky around had vanished soon;
The cloud appeared like one rain-bearing much;
I saw displays of lightning bright within,
Without the thunder that accompanies!
Oh, how I wished God brings the rains we need!
Each time it lit, I saw frescoes unknown;
They seemed like painted scenes and landscapes queer
That matched my mind’s imaginative eye!
I tried to photograph the cloud with my cell-phone;
It did not work as it was almost night;
I wished I could capture the divine scenes,
But in the end gave up as I could not.
The hope of rain, the mighty cloud gave me
Was soon replaced by one of much despair,
Except the joy of witnessing a cloud
That seemed so strangely different and yet crass!
It marked the night before my mother passed away!
My mind and heart were heavy with her thoughts;
I prayed so hard to God to give the soul
Eternal rest and heaven right away!
My mother was an exemplary figure –
An epitome of virtuous woman!
Forget the rain that failed to lash the earth;
Did I see celestial scenes from mundane earth?
Copyright by Dr John Celes 26-04-2013
Dr John Celes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Weird Cloud by Dr John Celes )
- Cambridge -Seat of Learning., Geoffrey Fafard
- Disharmony......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Time Is Not Staying In Place, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
- Courage, Scott J. Shepard
- For Those Who Starve, Scott J. Shepard
- Gorgeous Girls, Scott J. Shepard
- Your Wet Eyelashes, Eyelids, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minor Keys, Scott J. Shepard
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Love In The Guise Of Friendship, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)