My life has been shattered by the sound
Of that tragic call.
My heart lies broken on the ground
With that fatal fall.
If in despair I cried my pain
Out to the very stars
The universe would not contain
The sound ‘twould reach that far.
If wanting could bring you back again,
If longing could open the door,
If I could awake to find it a dream
And you at my side as before,
I'd tell you of all the things you do
That made my world complete;
I'd never complain that you are you;
I'd lay my heart at your feet.
I cannot help but long for you
Though I know it cannot be.
You gave me the strength to bear this too,
By the faith you had in me.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~To Maurice by Adeline Foster )
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
- Joan Rivers, Ima Ryma
- First October Twenty Fourteen, Tony Adah
- تحية طيبة, خليل مردم بك
Poem of the Day
(July 15 1964)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Viggo Stuckenberg
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns