Joseph Rodman Drake
ONE happy year has fled, Sall,
Since you were all my own,
The leaves have felt the autumn blight,
The wintry storm has blown.
We heeded not the cold blast,
Nor the winter's icy air;
For we found our climate in the heart,
And it was summer there.
The summer's sun is bright, Sall,
The skies are pure in hue;
But clouds will sometimes sadden them,
And dim their lovely blue;
And clouds may come to us, Sall,
But sure they will not stay;
For there's a spell in fond hearts
To chase their gloom away.
In sickness and in sorrow
Thine eyes were on me still,
And there was comfort in each glance
To charm the sense of ill.
And were they absent now, Sall,
I'd seek my bed of pain,
And bless each pang that gave me back
Those looks of love again.
Oh, pleasant is the welcome kiss,
When day's dull round is o'er,
And sweet the music of the step
That meets me at the door.
Though worldly cares may visit us,
I reck not when they fall,
While I have thy kind lips, my Sall,
To smile away them all.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Sara by Joseph Rodman Drake )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(3rd April 19sixty)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Expression Eruption: Confidence, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- An Indian English Ph.D. Thesis On Modern.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- the half truth, Dr Puneet Aggarwal
- Argumentative ones, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Love children, gajanan mishra
- 25 December 2014, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Wipe out terrorism, gajanan mishra
- The hilarious children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Let us discuss poems, gajanan mishra
- Eyes Tell a Story, Rohit Sapra