Glen Martin Fitch
To search one's heart is not an easy task.
To search one's heart
is not an easy task.
I took a stand
on what I still assert.
I must do this.
I can't do what you ask,
if you make yourself be hurt.
Yet each complaint
still breaks me down again.
each sacrifice you've done.
Your pleas show so much fondness
through the pain.
Why do they all assume
on my part none?
The more you call me stubborn
when we fight,
the more you tell me
your love I repel,
the harder it is for me
not to write
as if it's true,
when I would wish you well.
You tell me how you suffer,
and you do.
yet sometime you might see
I suffer too.
Glen Martin Fitch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
regarding his conversion to Catholicism.
'About communicating you are also mistaken...
Strictly I owed no duty whatever to the Church of England
but I did pay a provisional loyalty
until you induced me to give them up...
I could not otherwise have obeyed you...
I of course thought only of the way
which I believed would give you the least pain:
indeed if you can think I did otherwise
it would be useless of me to assure you of it...
And even for me it is almost a matter of necessity,
for every new letter breaks me down afresh,
and this could not go on.
Your letters, which show the utmost fondness,
suppose none on my part
and the more you think me hard and cold
and that I repel and throw you off,
the more I am helpless not to write as if it were true.
In this way I have no relief.
You might believe that I suffer too.
I am your very loving son,
Gerard M. Hopkins'
Comments about this poem (To search one's heart is not an easy task. by Glen Martin Fitch )
- Always Yours, Michael McParland
- All rich, gajanan mishra
- ما كان ذنبي, قسطاكي الحمصي
- حديث النفس, قسطاكي الحمصي
- A fox in Leeds with unusual needs., Stephen Katona
- Concepts 27, Somanathan Iyer
- More Time, Babatunde Aremu
- The Daughter of the Earth - 30, gajanan mishra
- Last Farewell, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Travel China Haiku - Chengdu spices, john tiong chunghoo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)