To The Favorites Of Violence
Let the headsman's black axe sever
The thread of life the Highest spun;
Immortal thought it will not bring to ruin,
The spirit's life it may not take!
In time's delirium, smoking, scarlet
Before the Hour's Prince, time on time
The flow of blood has stained the Colosseum.
That for the ages Love might flower.
Such is the law for aye unbroken
In all that life has brought to pass:
On earth the right is with the persecuted,
The judge is always put to shame.
Kingdoms have guttered, and in quiet
Sleeps their might, their fleeting play;
But timeless gleams a morning – glow in darkness, –
The light that shines from Huss's pyre...
In stern malevolence, O hangman
Of spirit, revel in your toil;
But he who tries to crush the Word's wise babble,
Shall bring down lightnings on his head!
Jurgis Baltrušaitis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To The Favorites Of Violence by Jurgis Baltrušaitis )
- To the Depths, Eleonor Santiago
- Angels on t he Shoulder, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Your Face, Eleonor Santiago
- You are, Ronnie Rox
- Could Been Girl That Died Today, Adeosun Olamide
- Wrestling Through Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Wildworld, Denis Martindale
- A Father's Miscarriage, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Howling From Tomorrow, Steven Rhoads
- Manhood, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(15 September 1889 – 22 May 1948)