Andrew D. Miller
To the Past
When we look to the future and like not what's seen
We feel for the past and all that has been.
With a future chaotic, and shocking, and bold,
We yearn for the clearness of that which is old.
The past is our anchor for all that we are;
As we're lost in the future it's our guiding star.
We may not all know what should, or will be,
But looking behind shows all we need see.
We must look, with respect, upon those who once stood;
Our founders, and fathers and all who've done good.
Our path becomes clear as we see through their eyes,
For they made what they were, they lived their own lives.
As it happened for them, it will happen for you;
With help from the past, you'll make something new,
Though the past is now gone, as crumbling towers,
We'll build a new world, the future is ours.
Andrew D. Miller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To the Past by Andrew D. Miller )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Gordon D Wilkinson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- I Scream, Michael P. McParland
- If We Were Good......., Sandra Feldman
- Consolation, Tony Adah
- Goodnight Kiss, Michael P. McParland
- Marshes Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- What I Dream And What I Find, Amitava Sur
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses