Andrew D. Miller
To the Past
When we look to the future and like not what's seen
We feel for the past and all that has been.
With a future chaotic, and shocking, and bold,
We yearn for the clearness of that which is old.
The past is our anchor for all that we are;
As we're lost in the future it's our guiding star.
We may not all know what should, or will be,
But looking behind shows all we need see.
We must look, with respect, upon those who once stood;
Our founders, and fathers and all who've done good.
Our path becomes clear as we see through their eyes,
For they made what they were, they lived their own lives.
As it happened for them, it will happen for you;
With help from the past, you'll make something new,
Though the past is now gone, as crumbling towers,
We'll build a new world, the future is ours.
Andrew D. Miller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To the Past by Andrew D. Miller )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- wedding day, ademola oluwabusayo
- Dream the moon, Somanathan Iyer
- आंनि देरा, Bahadur Basumatary
- Oh Israel, Michael Shutt
- Paper publisher, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- We Lost Our Run, Rites Ghosh
- Left are the words unspoken, Aditi Khandelwal
- Poetry, Tony Adah
- For Carl Harrison (My Life Long Friend), Dave Alan Walker
- Hyenas And Vultures, John Ugolo Umah