To Valerie Macon New Poet Laureate Of North Carolina Or: World Poetry In A Single Bound Vaults Over The Nitpickers
to Valerie Macon, new poet laureate of North Carolina, 'above the fray...' (July 12,2014-July 17,2014) a glorious though brief, reign...
poetry appeared in the bark of old trees,
in the neighborhood you used to live in
springing up overnight, syringa in the moonlight
cloudy cloudy stars.
in the old rains, intensifying the lilacs.
in the older lanes of perhaps, Fuquay-Varina.
in the little birds hopping near the mystical puddles
in the parking lots.
and 'whishing' in the tails of the grey squirrels
and it was curled around the baby's finger
in the butterscotch sunlight and it never asked why, why
has no committee come to call on me
but burbled over the white stones in the creek,
in a wavery sound we knew was music laughing
and the angels, brookside laughing
'what is protocol?
does it have wings, too? '
mary angela douglas 15 july 2014
Note on the Poem: people (some) are upset that the governor of north carolina appointed the new poet laureate of North Carolina, skipping the normal protocol. All I have to say is, thank God, since He's the source of it, anyway! (of poetry, not protocol)
I think so!
mary douglas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Valerie Macon New Poet Laureate Of North Carolina Or: World Poetry In A Single Bound Vaults Over The Nitpickers by mary douglas )
(30 June 1911 – 14 August 2004)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Question, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
Poem of the Day
- The Day Is Gone, And All Its Sweets Are .., Luo Zhihai
- Picturing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flag of peace, gajanan mishra
- Changing Positions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Elevated Insight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Teach them to love, Lubinda Lubinda
- Beyond The Ordinary, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- the comical dilemma with commas, Bull Hawking
- Hitler: A Life Immersed in Hypocrisy, Paul Hartal
- Creative Interests, RoseAnn V. Shawiak