Daniel Trevelyn Joseph
Today Is My Birthday!
The first day of my sixty-seventh year,
I slide open the three window panes in my bedroom,
To find the huge red circular plate of the Sun rising.
Geometrically disfigured by tall buildings
In Bandra Kurla complex towards the South.
I feel the fresh breeze blowing in, fresh
And cool: I notice it is blowing from East –
North-east monsoon was a reality
In Madurai during childhood, not now in Mumbai.
Got up at five a m, and went for a walk.
Remembered to take my old binoculars
Stopped at the corner near Mithi river on skywalk
Peered, and peered thru binoc, but had no luck today
As the Souther Cross constellation was not visible,
Felt like Matthew Arnold on the Dover Beach!
The layers of faith have been now darkened,
And polluted away into a deadly grey,
But still after completing sixty six years,
I am happy to feel life pulsing though
My body and mind, enabling me to enjoy
Moments of joy and beauty, use my senses,
My incomparable brain, and the elusive
But subtle and highly evolved brain-mind.
Reading is my only hobby, and friend too:
At present I am into “The Tell-tale Brain”
By Dr V S Ramachandran, Lucknow Boy
Of Vinod Mehta, Power of the Powerless
By Vaclav Havel who I read has died three days ago.
Some are born,
Some celebrate birthday!
What infinite variety and color! !
Everyday I feel thrilled to be alive, and aware!
Daniel Trevelyn Joseph's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Today Is My Birthday! by Daniel Trevelyn Joseph )
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(22 March 1941 -)
Michael P. McParland
(July 19 1983)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Open the floodgate.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- A Dream Of Death,, Luo Zhihai
- Feeling Your Spirit, Michael P. McParland
- Word, Birgitta Heikka
- Ganjaraja And His Associates/Ganjaraja W.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Royal Presidio Chapel, Monterey California, Steven Federle
- the apple of my I, Prophmatt . . .
- And Then There Was Love, Sandra Feldman
- Sigh, Erwick Brandon
- Marwari Businessman Father-in-law Want I.., Bijay Kant Dubey