You've climbed the highest mountain and swam in the roughest sea
And with pride you wore the colours of your Nationality
And you are a National hero street signs even have your name
But in ways you seem quite ordinary despite your World wide fame.
And though of your great successes singer songwriters now sing
To others you feel superior and that does not seem a good thing
For true greatness is far different than achieving something great
And you are not truly a great person though many your name celebrate
You may be a record breaker and a World renowned athlete
But there is a vast difference between pride and self conceit
And you are too conceited the praise to your head has gone
Still on the day you die without you life on Earth it will go on.
You may be a high achiever but that does not speak all of you
For to the higher principles you never could be true
Your ego has outgrown you and success gone to your head
And that there's far more to true greatness than great achievements truer words have not been said.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (True Greatness by Francis Duggan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The Guilt Trip, David Lewis Paget
- Ambrosia, Gaby Bernier
- Music is the bliss., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Live while you live., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Man dangles without woman., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Religion is a recreation., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I have got my body, gajanan mishra
- Many Types of Pain, Christina Seyoum
- Good things, hasmukh amathalal
- I failed to understand this world, gajanan mishra