There was an old dame of Dundee
Who climbed to the top of a tree
And shouted aloud
To the gathering crowd,
'I am me, I am me, I am me! -
And I see farther than you can see.'
There was an old Dame of Nantucket
Who kept her dead goose in a bucket.
'Yes, I know that it's dead, '
The old lady said,
'But I'm too sentimental to chuck it-
And it doesn't peck now when I pluck it.'
Norma Hass's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Alas, Jenny Joseph's emblems of eccentricity, purple clothing and a red hat, have become the uniform of a club with all sorts of rules.
So it goes. Today's rebellion becomes tomorrow's conformity.
Comments about this poem (Two Geezerettes by Norma Hass )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(01 January 1950)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- A language, a race, gajanan mishra
- Reality And Unimagination..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Smile, hafiz qasim
- Soldiers' Living Tomb, Ima Ryma
- Winter In The Wind, Tony Adah
- Barren Moon, Esther Ukeh
- Unrest Soul: Churches After Christ Death, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Weak in Nature, hafiz qasim
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Expression Eruption: Get out, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche