Robert William Service
'God' is composed of letters three,
But if you put an 'l'
Before the last it seems to me
A synonym for Hell.
For all of envy, greed and hate
The human heart can hold
Respond unto the devil's bait
When God created Gold to be
For our adorning fit,
I little think he dreamed that we
Would come to worship it.
But when you ruefully have scanned
The chronicles of Time,
You'll find that lucre lends a hand
So if you are a millionaire,
To be of Heaven sure,
Give every penny you can spare
Unto the sick and poor.
From Gold strike out the evil 'ell,'
And so with letters odd
You can with peace of spirit spell
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Two Words by Robert William Service )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Eagles, Ronald Chapman
- Drugs (Cinquain), Ronald Chapman
- Sad Little Love Story, Amalia Dawn
- Dreams (Secret Message Poem), Ronald Chapman
- Life be Safe, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Dreams, Ronald Chapman
- A Poem Reflects, Sandra Feldman
- Dreaming, Ronald Chapman
- Drop Of Ink #1, Of Muses And Other Ghosts
- Dream Land, Ronald Chapman