Escaped my home, constricting me,
Up the pass, above the city lights
To the valley of my dreams.
No sight, no light, no other but the stars,
The constellations arching,
Hobbit windows glowing in the darkness.
Found safety in the far aloneness,
Then came back toward you.
I called you from a phone booth,
'I don't know where I am', I said.
'Come to me', you said.
You smelled of soap and sleep.
'What do you want? ', you asked.
Just you. To hear your even breathing in my sleep,
Then, in the morning, having dreamt you,
I will go.
I never breathed you fully in that morning.
I only felt your back rise into me.
And hold your liquid scent until today.
You didn't wake.
My road continues down the mountain.
James Andrews's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ute Pass by James Andrews )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Fließendes Grün, Floy Dy (Floyd) Ra (Floydson)
- Release yourself, Elena Ioannou
- BETCHE SAID PATIENCE, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Crazy Thing, Leah Ayliffe
- A Thought A Head, Ima Ryma
- **कधी कधी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** सागं ना 2 **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- ** अबोल भावना मनातल्या **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- I am Not Alone, Sandra Feldman
- When the flower withers, Leong Ming Loong