Robert William Service
My tangoing seemed to delight her;
With me it was love at first sight.
I mentioned That I was a writer:
She asked me: "What is it you write?"
"Oh, only best-sellers," I told her.
Their titles? . . . She shook her blonde head;
The atmosphere seemed to grow colder:
Not one of my books had she read.
Oh, she was a beauty ensnaring,
And I was an author of note;
But little I saw she'd be caring
If never a novel I wrote.
Alas for the caprice of Cupid!
Alack for the phantom of Fame!
I thought her just homely and stupid:
She didn't know even my name.
I saw her a score of years after;
She gushed as I took off my hat;
But inwardly loud was my laughter,
For she was enormously fat.
Thank heaven I'd not made that error;
I saw Love drive off in a hearse;
But I too retreated in terror . . .
She started to quote me my verse.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Vanity by Robert William Service )
Did you read them?
- Chuckle, shinej K.P
- The night is ending away for the reputat.., clawdea benat
- Terrorism, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- My Dear Mom,, Dr John Celes
- Busy Life Bugged as Dybbuk Jigged jeez!, Harindhar Reddy
- Day of the Dead, Nassy Fesharaki
- Bow to God for the Life You Bestowed, yow!, Harindhar Reddy
- Please come agan, gajanan mishra
- LOvE mE DamMit - SHhhhhhh#t!, sEaN nOrTh
- Majestic Presence, Sadiqullah Khan
Poem of the Day
- November, Thomas Hood
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Would Live In Your Love, Sara Teasdale
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)