'Captain, our captain, '
We take your hand,
Find your footsteps on the streets
Of Chicago, New York, San Francisco.
Your spirit grows from the grassy fields,
Appearing on the horizon
As a light-beam signaling America
To remind her of her roots.
We follow the traces of light
Leading to forgotten springs;
We place our ears to the ground
To be near the leaves of grass and listen
With a desire to recognize our America,
And we wonder, do you know that you have strayed?
Dejan Stojanovic's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Walt Whitman by Dejan Stojanovic )
- The Sadness Of This World, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Could Be Out In The Rain, Vigna Mukund
- Equations: Friend Or Enemy, Guess Who
- Waiting for Dawn, Somanathan Iyer
- Confidence, Somanathan Iyer
- Doodling Without Purpose, Margaret Alice Second
- Nine persons are exempted from the disci.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Why like this?, Somanathan Iyer
- Humans we are!, Somanathan Iyer
- Summer, Naveed Khalid