'Captain, our captain, '
We take your hand,
Find your footsteps on the streets
Of Chicago, New York, San Francisco.
Your spirit grows from the grassy fields,
Appearing on the horizon
As a light-beam signaling America
To remind her of her roots.
We follow the traces of light
Leading to forgotten springs;
We place our ears to the ground
To be near the leaves of grass and listen
With a desire to recognize our America,
And we wonder, do you know that you have strayed?
Dejan Stojanovic's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Walt Whitman by Dejan Stojanovic )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- swallow, mina lotfi
- hey ass-wipe, i love you, Mandolyn ...
- The Mystery Of Word, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Men who see no day, Zimba Sundrogo
- Handsome and king, hasmukh amathalal
- Stoned by sadness, Nalini Chaturvedi
- The Goodness of a Life-mate (Section-6 .., rajendran muthiah
- Heart to, hasmukh amathalal
- An Ode to my Tree, Kelly Curiel
- foliage, snehanair manikkath