Way Up In The High Artic
Way up in the high Artic where the cold north winds blow
Young men flocked in their search for gold one hundred years ago
In Winter the musk oxen paw for fodder through the snow
In temperatures quite often fifty degrees below
The freezing point of zero by any standards cold
We've heard so many stories of young men who toiled for gold
Stories with happy endings and of grief and tragedy
The spirit of adventure is in the young and free.
Way up in the high Artic up north and far away
The gold rush days a memory few toil for gold today
But the stories, poems and ballads where men risked their all for gain
Are re-told and recited and with us still remain.
Way up in the high Artic home of the Polar bear
And wolf and moose and lemming and the elusive snow shoe hare
And snowy owl and artic fox and where caribou roam free
And where seal and walrus dive to great depths in the cold Artic sea.
And from that vast and rugged landscape where the mighty Yukon flow
The stories are still with us from a century ago
Of the young men who sought their fortunes great adventurers in their day
In that Land of the Midnight Sun up north and far away.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Way Up In The High Artic by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Uphill Fight, Maverick Jones
- I am Palestine, RiRi S...
- coasting on lucid language, Mandolyn Davidson
- गोरबोनि देँखो, Ronjoy Brahma
- grenadier guards, lee fones
- I was not that lucky, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- the jar has more than wasps, Mandolyn Davidson
- A prayer to my Pagli..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Swabby Ship Shanty, Samantha Pearson
- In Praise of Nobility (Sixteen), Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu