Were They That Different To Others
The greats of human history were mortals though their names live in immortality
The renowned writers, artists, composers and inventors may have made their own history
And though their works benefited others and they became famed Worldwide
Were they that different to others they lived for awhile and they died?
And what of success and of failure it matters only in the end
If at heart you are a good person and to someone you are a good friend
Success is based too much on one's financial successes and some tend to overlook if that person a he or a she
Has cheated others out of money to better themselves financially.
Great actors, scientists, athletes and leaders people honoured in story and rhyme
Are after all only mere mortals they all become victims of time
Like Autumn leaves in the flooded river that have fallen from their mother tree
That journey to their destination the bed of the saltwater sea.
But if you can respect other people and learn how to receive and give
And to others not feel superior and learn how to live and let live
Then though you only may be a mere mortal no different 'twould seem to the rest
At least your life it has been worth-while as one can only do their best.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Were They That Different To Others by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
- The Afternoon, Leong Ming Loong
- Aligarh Muslim University & Raja Mahendr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Storm Warning, ESPN CHICK
- A Kiss To Otis Redding, Electric Lady
- So Sensitive In My Heart, Rohit Sapra
- You own every part of me, Afrodita Alkline
- You (One Day I'll Forget You), ESPN CHICK
- Advice can have minus point., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)