Robert Edgar Burns
What Is A Son?
A promise of tomorrow.
A namesake shining through.
A bloodline that continues on,
Through eternal springs of youth.
New strength as from a lion.
But, in his softness like a lamb,
Emerges a new warrior,
From this boy now turned a man.
For what is life but battles?
Each new day a victory won.
It takes the courage of a soldier,
To be raised up as a son.
So guard your heart my son, my own.
And always seek out truth.
May this wisdom always stay with you,
When you have left behind your youth.
Swaddled in blue cotton clothing
Encompassed you the day we met.
No matter how your light may shine,
That bright day I will not forget.
Whether a son packs a pilots parachute,
Or streaks across the sprawling sky,
Every son is just as valuable,
Whether he goes or stays behind.
Daddy served proudly in the Army
But the Navy you would rather choose,
I could not be much prouder
Than I have always been of you!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Is A Son? by Robert Edgar Burns )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Gun, Rage'n Curtis
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Choice, Edith Nesbit
Poem of the Day
- Break Off From Your Sins II, Edward Kofi Louis
- My First Poem, Emelita C. Smith
- diMinNuTiVe, sEaN nOrTh
- I Am A Boat, Paul Gerard Reed
- Peace#01, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- hav em kill - BIG Chief di$bEliEf, sEaN nOrTh
- We Ate Beans., Tony Adah
- Letting Go, favour ugwumba
- Paw, saw, raw, law!, Edward Kofi Louis
- नोँखौ मोजां मोन्नायल' नङा, Ronjoy Brahma