What Is Love?
What is love? For some, a feeling ne'er felt.
Others would hesitate not to throw life
And happiness away. Is love not such?
A bringer of both life and death, of such
Golden light and dark night it passes through.
Evil, jealousy, spite, are these not brought?
By love, a double-edged sword piercing through
Countless hearts later turned black and hateful.
Yet still happiness, laughter, joy, are these
Not brought too? The savior of many souls,
The light piercing through the darkness of Hell.
Why? Why does it torment us so? With such
Bittersweet words, it washes over us
With such o'er-flowing feelings it courses
Through us. Dredging up unknown feelings, yes,
Such is the course of love as it passes.
A gamble with the gods themselves, with its
Twists and turns; a dangerous game to play
With the goddess of love, Aphrodite.
Veiled with light, and cloaked with darkness she comes.
With a likeness of both the sun and moon
She comes. Inescapable in her touch.
Like a rose in its beauty, with its thorns
Hidden from sight until pricked. Dark and light,
O, hateful love! Both harmful and needed,
Ever-changing yet constant. What is love?
Far from our grasp, ever allusive, love.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Is Love? by Ayano Mai )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Be a runner, gajanan mishra
- Rosy - 2, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Nangalum Manidan Than!, sisirachandra vaduge
- Time For Healing and Time to Love, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Merry-Christmas, gajanan mishra
- The best of surrenders, A. Jayaprakash Jayaprakash P ..
- This world is yours, gajanan mishra
- Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amber Carr
- With full freedom, hasmukh amathalal
- તે જ જોવાનું..tej jovaanu, hasmukh amathalal