What is Normal?
How is it, in a crowded room of people? I feel so alone.
It’s like being in the brightest room… and yet, still blindly searching for a light switch.
The switch that only I can see and be affected by, as everyone else can plainly see there is no need for another light. Still, I feel like I am in a endless darkness, and it is as if everyone else who has no need of the light, is staring at me, watching me search, and rather than helping me and showing me where the switch is, they laugh at what they call my naivety; yet I call my alternative thinking.
To one, I may come across as no different. Yet my mind is a twisted tangle of thoughts that I cannot describe, so I choose not to. I think no one knows the complete true me. People know parts of me, yet I still have deep personal secrets that have no words that could describe them. And as time goes by, and people move on… the people who know me, become more distant… and I yet again find myself having to build up a new relationship with a new person, once again starting from the beginning. And im not talking about a dating relationship, I mean it as any human relationship.
Sometimes, I wish I could be normal, not so different. Although, what is normal? My life is a constant shuffle of ever-changing emotions; That no matter how hard I try, I cannot control. I have gained skill at hiding my emotions, but… I still am lying to myself.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What is Normal? by Tahlia Hilton )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Nymphs And Shepherds, Thomas Shadwell
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Honour my feelings!, Rekha Mandagere
- The End is Coming, michael hagwood
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez
- Far Off, Sentamu Aziz
- Mill By The River, Stratis Havarti