Where Did We Go Wrong?
If I approached you
And directed my words in your direction,
Would you respond like you cared,
And take interest in my thoughts
Or would you sit there untouched,
Pretending to listen.
What would happen if I hugged you today,
Would you embrace me as a mother should,
Or would you greet me
With the back of your hand,
Embarrassed in my foolish attempts for love.
What if I disappeared into the night,
Would you would search for me
As a mother would,
Until exhaustion forced you to succumb to defeat,
Or would you relish in triumph
Welcoming an effortless victory.
What if you read this and cried,
Thought that I felt you had failed,
When it was my own pitiful self
My own worthless excuse for a daughter,
That has kept us apart.
If I could only learn to love
What always loved me unconditionally,
Then perhaps, perhaps we could exist together,
And talk and hug and share the way
Mothers and daughters ought to.
If I told you I loved you
Would you cry?
So overwhelmed by happiness
That the tears could not contain themselves,
Or would you stare blankly back,
Afraid to answer
Because of the torture I have put you through.
Because it just might be a dream.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Where Did We Go Wrong? by Leah Bueing )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Opposite People, Tony Adah
- The Exception Perception Has, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- You Know, Whats-his-name, Lawrence Beck
- Isis: Syria and Iraq, do something!, Rachel Nichols
- THE POOR PEOPLE AND THEIR POVERTY الفقرا.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I PROMISE, Poet Akinwemimo Idris
- The Spyders, David Lewis Paget
- Monsoon., David Lessard
- Unprepared, Disrespectful 'and' Undiscip.., Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Summer Nights, Maya Hanson (mye3 poet)