White On White
The white wolf went about his day
With one thing on his mind,
It was his nature to obey
For some new food to find...
The solemn truth, survival first,
The rest was just a blur,
This day was either blessed or cursed,
Who knows what would occur?
In life, death is the guarantee,
The last resort, no more,
That's why there was no mystery
When hunger was so sure...
The white wolf crushed white snow beneath
As he ran to and fro,
Pressed lips still hid his pure white teeth
While he felt hunger grow...
The carnivore searched his domain,
Found food and thus survived,
Some thing would lose while he would gain
From all he had derived...
I watched him from my hiding place,
His daily battle known
The second that he'd won the chase
And thought he ate alone...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'White On White'.
More Stephen Gayford poems here:
Comments about this poem (White On White by Denis Martindale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Durgapuri Babu
(19 January 1919 - 10 May 2002)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- That shall keep, hasmukh amathalal
- Change the scene, hasmukh amathalal
- To Whom It May Concern, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Unsuitable, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- People of Pernambuco 2, Kim Barney
- Strange Foods: Oatmeal Omelet, Kim Barney
- Not a Real Poem 2, Kim Barney
- A Christmas with Simplicity, Akhtar Jawad
- Mangos and Monkeys, Kim Barney
- Mack, Kim Barney