Why do we look at clocks?
why is it that we look at clocks?
is it just that time of day?
without them would we still go?
would we stay
here i lay, staring at a broken clock, which has ticked its last tock.
as i stare and ponder at this broken clock a stroke of twilight enters my soul, as if to say stop! ! !
still i lay and ponder more, still searching for that hidden door.
here i lay motionless, uncontent.
i wonder where my time has went.
why do i feel as tho my soul is bent?
i think to myself (only here and now should matter) .
i let out a joy of laughter.
i rejoice at how wonderful life really is.
i close my eyes as darkness slowly fills my soul and begins to lull me to sleep.
here at the cusp of waking consciousness as darkness enshrouds and devours my soul.
i realize i have no control.
here i realize the one thing no clock can measure.
the one thing no man or clock can predict or escape.
as if i were sinking in the belly of the titanic, and the water was truth.
it surrounded me and i had no control.
alas, i realized in that split second, in the blink of an eye
but it was to late.
death had found me.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why do we look at clocks? by scott first )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Frederick William (FW) Harvey
Mir Taqi Mir
(1723 - 1810)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Wide Open II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Christmas Day in Philly, Benjamin Michael Clark
- Shepherdess II, Edward Kofi Louis
- How Old Are You?, Edward Kofi Louis
- If We Don't Meet Upon The Morrow, Kute Makerz
- Radha, Radha, Radha, You Are My Life & .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Our Angels, vanessa hughes
- Solicitation, Ifthekar Ifthi
- The Redoubt, Noah Body
- For Madhavi, Bernedita Rosinha Pinto