Why I Am a Liberal
"Why?" Because all I haply can and do,
All that I am now, all I hope to be,--
Whence comes it save from fortune setting free
Body and soul the purpose to pursue,
God traced for both? If fetters, not a few,
Of prejudice, convention, fall from me,
These shall I bid men--each in his degree
Also God-guided--bear, and gayly, too?
But little do or can the best of us:
That little is achieved through Liberty.
Who, then, dares hold, emancipated thus,
His fellow shall continue bound? Not I,
Who live, love, labour freely, nor discuss
A brother's right to freedom. That is "Why."
Robert Browning's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why I Am a Liberal by Robert Browning )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- HUMBLE WISHES 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- LIES VS. TRUTH 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- REJOICE 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- Against My Will, Emmanuel George Cefai
- MONEY 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- Sitting on the desk, Emmanuel George Cefai
- As in a dream, Emmanuel George Cefai
- EDUCATION 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- The night is heavy, Emmanuel George Cefai