Why I Write
Why I Write
By Michael Shutt
People have asked me-
Why do you write?
Is it because there's
Oh hell. Please.
Don't make me scold.
I do not write for
Or maybe 'cause
There is a cause
You care about
And want to give
A big shout out?
Do you think you
Are such a sage
When you see your name
On a written page?
Oh, hell no friends
It's simply this-
Life's worn me down-
A pale cold kiss
Now spurs me to
Put thoughts to paper.
Life's a dream-
A fleeting vapor.
And so in writing
Do I find
A bit of me
To leave behind.
To say that I once
Breathed Earth's air.
To say that once,
I was here.
Oct 26,2012 ·
Michael Shutt's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why I Write by Michael Shutt )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Abu at-Tayyib al-Mutanabbi
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Deep in my Soul, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Orange Has A Shadow, Saiom Shriver
- I'm Screaming Inside, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Wisdom, Forgiveness & Love., Tom Zart
- Not Divisive But Divine, Saiom Shriver
- Heart-Song of Mattie Stepanek*, Tushar Ray
- Singing Rain, Saiom Shriver
- Sometimes, Aslam Marikar
- The Confession, Aslam Marikar
- Resolutions, Gordon Ayisi