Why Me Lord?
Why should I spend my nights within a cozy bed,
a clean, soft pillow beneath my sleeping head?
Why should I have food sufficient for each day, food to eat,
food to share, even some to throw away?
Why should I have funds to meet each need I know;
some to save for a rainy day and some to even blow?
Why do I yet have strength that keeps me on my feet,
a mind to know and a will to go and pleasures that are sweet?
Why should I live where there is peace and love,
no sounds of weapons firing, no bombs from planes above?
Why me, Lord, why me?
Now Lord, if comes the day, when I’ve no place to rest.
When all food is gone and I’ve no treasure chest.
When my strength has passed and my body’s wracked with pain,
when my memory is failing, and few pleasures yet remain.
If comes the curse of warfare in the place where I then live,
Help me to remember the blessings you now give.
So that in the darkest hours, my heart may thankful be,
and may I then have the grace to say, “Lord, Why not me? ”
Burt Poole's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why Me Lord? by Burt Poole )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- On Taking Secretaries to Lunch, Donal Mahoney
- The Lizard Said Yes, Tony Adah
- For real this time, yashovardhan kulkarni
- hey hog rider, does the roof have ricket.., Mandolyn ...
- my hair is still growing as fast as the .., Mandolyn ...
- New Mexico Sky, Taiko
- The Truth Lays, Michael P. McParland
- I Pledge My Life Unto Thine Word, Dr John Celes
- Hope in the Good, yashovardhan kulkarni
- Dogged, Chris Ajiduah