Brian P FitzGerald
Why the Tears?
Through hopeless gloom and chill I stare,
With icy drops on branches wet,
No longer distant hills I see in sunlight glare
My memory dim, my eyes are blurred - and yet
I see my love and still expect
A little touch, and thoughts unchecked.
The fest'ring stench of death from life
Corruption pervades my soul
And darkly mirrors my inmost strife
My life devoid of meaning all,
From darkest feelings, no relief
My thoughts are filled with dismal grief.
The rotting leaves beneath my feet
And woodland drips, like tears, in winter's sorrow
My darling, my own, my sweet
Life's past years I cannot borrow.
Revenge I would against nature's toll,
And little does my grief assuage my soul.
It fills my heart, with cruel torment,
For opportunities missed; these I know,
They fill my soul, my tortured lament
The years have passed, regrets still show
And trouble my sleep; no longer the warmth
Of sweet embrace I feel, as alone in bed I lie.
My love, my life, lies bleeding in the past
I stand, I ponder, now alone I stand, alone,
My tears provide some comfort at last
My plight to all remains unknown.
Where in this world my future be
If no love there be to comfort me?
(30 August 2012 - East Yorkshire)
Topic(s): love and pain
Brian P FitzGerald's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why the Tears? by Brian P FitzGerald )
- Scenes From the Rain! ! ! ! ! ! ! !, RAJESH.C BOSE
- Here, Betsy Sholl
- The Blue Eyed, Sadiqullah Khan
- The Tortoise, Betsy Sholl
- A Reflecting Mirror, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sanctuary, Naveed Khalid
- Angel of Dissent, Betsy Sholl
- The Queen Mary, Ima Ryma
- Atukei, The Itesot Girl, maureen ceasar
- A Little Traveling Music, Betsy Sholl
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1923 - 1998)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)