Why Wear A Mask
Why Wear A Mask? By Kenny Davis
I wear a mask to conceal my identity.
Even no one notices what I do.
Just in case someone pays attention to my helpful heroism.
I won’t be praised or recognized by name.
I wear a mask to shield myself from others.
By not seeing me they won’t judge me for me.
They would judge me for who I am when I put it on,
Not for whom I am when I take it off.
I wear a mask to become someone else.
When I do so I am free.
For the mask gives me confidence and invincibility.
I feel no man, woman, or beast can hurt me.
I wear a mask to learn about others.
The initial judgment is made primarily by how you look.
For if others can be cruel with my mask on.
Who is to say they won’t when I take it off.
I wear a mask to create a sense of mystery
Leave a little or a lot for the unknown.
For if there is someone who can handle me without the mask.
May be privileged to reveal the secrets from behind it.
Why wear a mask at all?
If I do it to not cause attention to myself.
For wearing this mask in a world of normalcy makes me unique.
Seems like the mask doesn’t work much at all.
© June 2008 k.davis
Kenneth Davis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why Wear A Mask by Kenneth Davis )
- My eyelids, Sergio Jaime
- I Am Woman, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Unnamed Emotions, Monica Mohan
- Canon fire, Cee Bea
- Haiku ' Sea', miken newman
- The House on the Hill, Cathy Hodgson
- Haiku 8, Kim Barney
- $hOpErS LOVe $hOpIng - but, sEaN nOrTh
- Tras mis párpados, Sergio Jaime
- Future Fast Forward, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)