Why Wear A Mask
Why Wear A Mask? By Kenny Davis
I wear a mask to conceal my identity.
Even no one notices what I do.
Just in case someone pays attention to my helpful heroism.
I won’t be praised or recognized by name.
I wear a mask to shield myself from others.
By not seeing me they won’t judge me for me.
They would judge me for who I am when I put it on,
Not for whom I am when I take it off.
I wear a mask to become someone else.
When I do so I am free.
For the mask gives me confidence and invincibility.
I feel no man, woman, or beast can hurt me.
I wear a mask to learn about others.
The initial judgment is made primarily by how you look.
For if others can be cruel with my mask on.
Who is to say they won’t when I take it off.
I wear a mask to create a sense of mystery
Leave a little or a lot for the unknown.
For if there is someone who can handle me without the mask.
May be privileged to reveal the secrets from behind it.
Why wear a mask at all?
If I do it to not cause attention to myself.
For wearing this mask in a world of normalcy makes me unique.
Seems like the mask doesn’t work much at all.
© June 2008 k.davis
Kenneth Davis's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why Wear A Mask by Kenneth Davis )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- So is Love, Jayatissa Liyanage
- A World Without Colour, Alex Lear
- À TOI, Rosie Bourget
- Psalm 077, Forrest Hainline
- Every day feels scripted, Mark Heathcote
- It's Not Your Fault, Sarah Liz Bowman
- Beauty Of Moonlight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- misguide., tiffany white
- Parallel Lives, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- À L'ÉLU DE MON COEUR, Rosie Bourget