Will they remember?
When the summer and its warmth are back,
will they remember
the winter and its casualties?
Will the flowers that perished off
or will they be like you forgotten
without anybody ever knowing your name?
When did you get lost
and when did you fade
into the cracks of society?
I have witnessed the brokenness in your eyes
and the winter chill around your heart
when words were falling harshly.
I have witnessed your begging hands,
your dirty clothes
and I wonder if you once had been
a son, a father
with soft hands and clean clothes
but now all people have forgotten you.
The blanket around your shoulders is heavy
and I have seen tears staining your cheeks.
Have you ever prayed through the night
and hoped for a new day
while the cardboard bed was too thin
to keep out the cold?
Did your mind sometimes wander off
to your family and to another kind of life
and will the people that had loved you at a time
understand what it feels like to be broken,
how it feels when life turns its back on a person?
Today I witnessed an ambulance taking you away,
at the mortuary they washed your hair,
cleaned you up and stripped you bare
and the newspaper only said
that they did find you in the park.
The birds were singing
and your place is empty
without anybody knowing your name.
Will anyone remember you?
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Will they remember? by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(03 April 1964)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(18 November 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Happy Birthday stranger, ice johnson
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
Poem of the Day
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Woman And Time..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Firmament, Margaret Ann Newcomb
- Petits morceaux, Lubinda Lubinda
- For Edgar Allan Poe With All Gratitude..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It Takes Tears to..., Rodney R. Cooper
- It Takes Tears, Rodney R. Cooper
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Don't leave me cozied-up homely, Mark Heathcote
- If You Were Here Today, Serena Blackinton