With Begging Hands
In your hands you clutch a board
with a written plea:
'No work, no food and children to feed.
May God bless you.'
In my car I cannot even look at you
and I hang my head in shame,
cast down my eyes
and I realise the state that your close are in,
they are tattered and torn
and you are dirty.
'Madam, do you have a few cents to spare, '
I hear the beggar ask
and do not even glance at him
when I give him what I have got.
Driving away I am trying to forget
the impression that this man had on me
and the emptiness
and sorrow that his image portrayed
but his words had imprisoned me
and made me think about my own life.
He asked for only a few cents for bread
but man cannot live by bread alone.
'Lord, my thoughts go back to You,
to Your teachings
and am I also a beggar
with stretched out hands?
Lord, I do pray for the bread of life,
for peace in my heart
and I wonder how You do see me
on this particular day?
Am I also tattered and torn
where I stand at Your mercy
and I beg: Do not pass me by.'
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (With Begging Hands by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Syllable Of Meaning, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Touching Rendition, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dahshatgard, Bano Ali
- Safe Haven, Denis Martindale
- My Dear Father, Monesh Kumar
- But quarrelsome, gajanan mishra
- Period so brief, hasmukh amathalal
- Rapping Christmas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- On Christmas Evening, John Lars Zwerenz
- MAX, Dog goD 8Hate