With Me Now Just A Memory
With me now just a memory but memories with us remain
In the heavy rains of late Winter the female frog lay in the drain
Her eggs like crystal lumps of jelly from which her tadpoles hatched out
And all around their watery home they wriggled all about.
For to grow into adult frogs not many would survive
For many tadpoles had to die for one predator to stay alive
To the taste buds of a grey heron a plump tadpole tasted sweet
As one of the favourite water dwelling things that a heron loves to eat.
But a few avoided the sharp beak of the lanky bird of prey
For to grow into adult frogs for that is Nature's way
Of insuring species survival in such Nature a huge part does play
Survival of the fittest as some are known to say.
With me now just a memory of times that are long gone
And though the past it is behind us the memories live on
And I retain the memory of the croaking of the frog
On their breeding time in late Winter in the drain beside the bog.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (With Me Now Just A Memory by Francis Duggan )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Human Family, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Daughter of Eve, ramesh rai
- Schmacebook, Esther Moe
- Excuses, Michelle Dragonfly
- They Say, Michelle Dragonfly
- someone asked me why i have so many jars.., Mandolyn ...
- Not A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- let's worship nothing, forever, Mandolyn ...
- Keep Patience and Stand, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Nothing Seems Right, Andrew Butler
- Seventeen Thoughts, A Lifetime, Kewayne Wadley