Hang him from a tree he hasn't hung from yet.
Fling him off a bridge no one's been flung from yet.
Send succor, in whatever dark disguise:
a hornet's nest he's not gone running, stung, from yet.
Early fall, and not one branch the wind
has not stripped every leaf that clung from yet.
Recess. Winter. Second or third grade.
A frozen pipe he hasn't freed his tongue from yet.
The drought seems endless. Spring. No dropp of rain.
Just parched soil no shoot has sprung from yet.
Find it in some corner of the workshop,
some damp rag no last dropp has been wrung from yet?
Probe the dank recesses of the cellar-
not one cask he hasn't yanked the bung from yet.
He'd have it be a tower, not a steeple-
the height in him no bell has rung from yet.
Not by wit or rhetoric alone
will Eric find a voice he hasn't sung from yet.
Eric Torgersen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yet by Eric Torgersen )
- Nature's Law: A Poem, Robert Burns
- Twisted, Peter Jay Shippy
- Song—Farewell to the Highlands, Robert Burns
- A Description, Lord Edward Herbert of Cherb ..
- Death and Dr. Hornbook, Robert Burns
- Best Loved Poems Of The American people, Peter Jay Shippy
- Epitaph on William Muir, Robert Burns
- Sonnet9: If thou hadst become hot summer.., Pijush Biswas
- 357. A Grace before Dinner, Robert Burns
- 314. Song—There'll never be Peace till J.., Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- In Flanders Field, John McCrae
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)