krishnakumar chandrasekar nair
You can take him home now......
'You can take him home now', the men in white said
Speaking politely, softly and so very gently
All they wanted perhaps was to free one bed
For a case that had some little hope.......
And my father-in-law a third stage cancer patient
Had occupied it far, far too long for their comfort
And so we took him on a stretcher with new wheels
Into the lift that had brought him up; three, two, one....
Back into blinding sunlight and then to the ambulance white
But this time no siren blaring, just slow moving
One hundred and twenty miles in no damn hurry
Almost stopping at every hump, pot hole
Even as he occasionally opened his eyes
'what time of the day is it..?
Did all of you eat, have tea...? '
Incessant questions from a feverish mind
And at dusk when we arrived at the familiar gate
Famished and tired, he had turned over into his hazy world
And we back to our vigil as the crickets began to weep....
krishnakumar chandrasekar nair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (You can take him home now...... by krishnakumar chandrasekar nair )
Did you read them?
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Living With An Open Heart, Renee Marie
- Love Burns, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns