Glen Martin Fitch
YOU'RE ONLY AS MATURE AS YOU ARE
It's not enough
to learn from each mistake.
We grow up being
someone else's test
to see how we react
when teased or stressed or hit.
We learn to lie
for our own sake.
But on the social stage
we play our part
and strive to act adult
at every age.
We feed our grievances
and nurture rage
and try to hide
our bitter, battered heart.
Yet at the table
for a family feast
we eye a parent,
adult child or sib,
an ex (or should be)
till the age old fib won't hold.
Out roars our inner beast.
The napkins fly
at those we most despise,
to protect our lies.
Glen Martin Fitch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (YOU'RE ONLY AS MATURE AS YOU ARE by Glen Martin Fitch )
- Early union, hasmukh amathalal
- EXTRA FOR BREAKFAST, Terry Collett
- Uninvited - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Through the down memory lane., Ruma Chaudhuri
- The Ladyton Spring, Dan Reynolds
- Bhumi, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Time Passes By..., Alvin Jenner
- Comments, Frank Avon
- Raining Hay, Julian Mann
- Belief on God, HARIOM RASTOGI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Alan W. Jankowski
(10 February 1970-)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)