Glen Martin Fitch
YOU'RE ONLY AS MATURE AS YOU ARE
It's not enough
to learn from each mistake.
We grow up being
someone else's test
to see how we react
when teased or stressed or hit.
We learn to lie
for our own sake.
But on the social stage
we play our part
and strive to act adult
at every age.
We feed our grievances
and nurture rage
and try to hide
our bitter, battered heart.
Yet at the table
for a family feast
we eye a parent,
adult child or sib,
an ex (or should be)
till the age old fib won't hold.
Out roars our inner beast.
The napkins fly
at those we most despise,
to protect our lies.
Glen Martin Fitch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (YOU'RE ONLY AS MATURE AS YOU ARE by Glen Martin Fitch )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- The nest of love, Jesus James Llorico
- Pappou Elia To My Father In Australia 1.., Elia Michael
- The God of Fallen Leaves, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Lonely Gallinule, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Appeasement, Stephanie Sharma
- Golden Boyhood, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Mysterious Beauty, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Complex Mind, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Twin stars, Zillur Rahman Shuvro
- Triangle Love, Zillur Rahman Shuvro