The speedy zebra fears the killer bite
And quickly race off in African night
And warns all others with her whinnying cry
'The word is out it's run flat out or die'.
The frightened wildebeest race off in fear
He hear the zebra know danger is near
The very thought all through him send a chill
The lion is out and hunting for the kill.
But male zoo lion you instil no such fear
As you were born in this wired run here
The animals nearby not scared of you
You cannot reach them in a wired in zoo.
They do not even tremble when you roar
They raise their heads and listen little more
And show no desire to bolt and run away
And they do not fear you as a beast of prey.
Your wild kin chase and kill the wildebeest
Whilst on a hunk of man killed beef you feast
And the only life you've ever known is this
But what you never knew you never miss.
the zebra here don't fear the killer bite
And when the zoo lion roars they don't feel fright
And unlike their wild cousins thousands of miles away
They do not fear the lion as beast of prey.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Zoo Lion by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- i can't help it but smile too, Manonton Dalan
- Learning Essence Of A Poet, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Beauty Unseen, Khairul Ahsan
- Down to Earth, moez meftah
- Away she went, moez meftah
- I Need A Reason To Live Your Dream, Asma Riaz Khan
- tera didar wo, Yashvardhan Goel
- My bloody heart!, Vinaya Joseph
- Cobwebs, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Gifts of Aging, Liilia Talts Morrison