Subramanya Bharathi Poems
- Freedom When will this thirst for freedom slake? When will ...
- Order To The Mind Satan residing little mind Listen to my ...
- There Is No Fear The people of this world, if against they ...
- A Spark Of Fire A spark of fire I did see Which there , in a...
- Invocation To Freedom Mother, those that hungering seek thy ...
- The Jewel Of Stars Moonlight, the stars and the wind, By ...
- The Eternal Himalaya Is Our Ve...
Chinnaswami Subramanya Bharathi (Tamil: சின்னசுவாமி சுப்பிரமணிய பாரதி) was a Tamil writer, poet, journalist, Indian independence activist and social reformer from Tamil Nadu, India. Popularly known as Mahakavi Bharathiyar (Tamil: மகாகவி பாரதியார்), he is a pioneer of modern Tamil poetry.
Born in Ettayapuram in 1882, Subramanya Bharathi studied in Tinnevely and worked as a journalist with many newspapers, notable among them being the Swadesamitran and India. Bharathi was also an active member of the Indian National Congress. In 1908, an arrest warrant was issued against Bharathi by the government of British India for his revolutionary activities forcing him to flee to Pondicherry ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Subramanya Bharathi
When will this thirst for freedom slake?
When will our love of slavery die?
When will our Mother's fetters break?
When will our tribulations cease?
Wasn't there another Bharat
Reared by our noble Aryan race?
Lead us, Aryan, to victory!
Is't right we remain slaves?
Are famine and disease alone our share?
For whom, then, are the laurels and fruits?
Will you abandon us, your suppliants?
Can the mother cast her child aside?
Brave warrior! Aryan Lord!
Thou destroyer of the demon-race,
Where is your dharma? Isn't yours the duty
To revive ...