Hugo von Hofmannsthal
Hugo von Hofmannsthal Poems
- Experience The valley of dusk was filled With a silver-grey...
- Die Beiden Sie trug den Becher in der Hand - Ihr Kinn und ...
- Vorfrühling Es läuft der Frühlingswind Durch kahle Alleen, ...
- Im Grünen Zu Singen War der Himmel trüb und schwer, Waren ...
- Erfahrung Ich kann so gut verstehen die ungetreuen Frauen, ...
- Remembered Your little sister Has tossed her Untied hair ...
- Terzinen Über Vergänglichkeit ...
Hugo Laurenz August Hofmann von Hofmannsthal, was an Austrian novelist, librettist, poet, dramatist, narrator, and essayist.
Hofmannsthal was born in Landstraße, Vienna, the son of an upper-class Austrian mother, Anna Maria Josefa Fohleutner (1852–1904), and an Austrian–Italian bank manager, Hugo August Peter Hofmann, Edler von Hofmannsthal (1841–1915).His great-grandfather, Isaak Löw Hofmann, Edler von Hofmannsthal, from whom his family inherited the noble title "Edler von Hofmannsthal," was a Jewish merchant ennobled by the Austrian emperor. He began to write poems and plays from an early age. He met the German poet Stefan George at the age of ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Hugo von Hofmannsthal
The valley of dusk was filled
With a silver-grey fragrance, like the moon
Seeping through clouds. But it wasn't night.
The silver-grey fragrance of the dark valley
Caused my sleepy thoughts to blur,
And silently I sank into the weaving,
Transparent sea and left my life.
What wonderful flowers there were,
With dark chalices glowing! A maze of plants
Through which a yellow-red light,
as if from topazes, glowed in warm streams. All
Was filled with a deep swelling
Of melancholy music. And this I knew,