O Anna Niemus
When trees are
killed by chain saw
bulldozer or ax
these are not good
18 of the ways daily weekly and monthly newspapers and magazines harm animals birds and plants
1. advertising 'livestock'... animals put on the auction
block in newsprint
2. In some antedeluvian cases such as the NY Times
over 150 years of advertising the bloody skins of animals
3. ads for grocery meats, fish, dairy
4. Intrinisically, since newspapers are made on the
cadavers of dead trees, they destroy animal habitat,
claiming they reforest when a 200 year old tree is
replaced by a tiny sapling.
5. When trees are cut down, animals are smashed
and flightless baby birds killed.
6. ads for rodeos, circuses, .
7. The 'outdoor' editors promote the stalking of animals
in the woods called hunting, the suffocation of sentient
fishes called 'fishing' (the verb fishing derived from the act of killing
8. 'Science' editors promote vivisection or research on
animals and vivisection derived lethal pharmaceuticals.
9 'Religion' editors write of ox roasts at churches
claiming to worship the vegetarian Jesus.
10. Most metropolitan dailies in the US large cities
are neocon controlled and censor peace news, shilling
war news with its consequent bombing of animals,
use of dogs as minesniffers etc.
11. Food editors print recipes promoting animal and fish flesh,
factory farmed eggs etc.
12. Restaurant reviewers give free commercials for
13. Newsprint is not broken down in landfills because
it is not aerated.
14. Newsprint leaches into streams harming fishes, birds,
15. Newsprint factories leach carcinogens into the waters.
16. More trees are cut down to expand landfills
17. Book editors feature books not published on recycled paper
18. ads for
insecticides, avicides, traps and
other barbarities directed at animals
Newspapers can be made from rags. Cotton
and other fiber content lasts several hundred years
while newsprint lasts a few decades. Goodwill,
Salvation Army and others who sell rags to
China could sell them instead to newspapers.
When animal rights and environment groups advertise
in newspapers, they add to killing of animals birds and trees.
O Anna Niemus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (18 Acts by O Anna Niemus )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(03 April 1964)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(3 March 1878 - 9 April 1917)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- London, William Blake
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Poisoned, Harley White
- Now let us join hands, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Is It Wrong?, Eugene Latumbo
- The dangers of a selfie, lee fones
- IN THE COMFORT OF NATURE, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Agnes, Alexander Onoja
- The Escapist, Jaipal Singh
- GOD LISTENS AND SPEAKS, Michael P. Johnson
- A Journey By Indian Train, Bijay Kant Dubey
- They die before you do., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.