Somewhere in Paris alone
Watching rain change empty streets
To glistening black veins,
From the hour and the Pernod.
Now finally, he thought,
I am a poet.
Hitched from hell with an old farmer.
Slow truck, cold beer.
“Where yah goin’”
I paused. “Home”
“where’s that? ”
I paused again and thought.
I don’t remember where I said.
I lied for some reason quickly.
The sunset that night
Changed hot valley clouds into
Into old buildings and alleys. I think
The snow pressed a white face
To the window and Hot white wine and
Cinnamon sticks stirred and let me forget.
A while anyway.
I am walking fire. I burn
Inside waiting with smoke hot.
I am never dark. The smoke of my breath
And I am transparent
The Death of the Cameo
I am frightened by Transition
No more commas.
Commas are pauses
For a breathless moment
A slight eddy of Time
And then you move on. No more commas please (I can’t take it)
I will seek and find you something new.
An exclamation point!
And for me a question mark.
And in the middle of the night we will switch
Love, no more commas
Stuart Welch's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (4 Shorts by Stuart Welch )
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Know Why Old People Are Sometimes Very.., Shalom Freedman
- Speaking Loudly, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Sure, Michael McParland
- Into The Air, Robert Eckstein
- Loving you, Jesus James Llorico
- Fly away, Sagrario Garcia
- Killing Me Softly, Electric Lady
- Shh...I'm Hiding, Shrey Anand
- Faith in Christ!, Shaila Touchton
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1927)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)