Lawrence S. Pertillar
I was not hoping I'd forget,
I turned 66.
It just seems that 65 came and left so quick,
Becoming 66 was like...
And 67 is just eleven years from 78!
And I remember thinking that being 80...
Had been for those who lived to be that age,
Were dinosaurs who survived...
And were on display in convalescent homes.
Hey, I was young then.
With only wishes to see 21.
And with that done I am now 66.
Without tricks or magic.
But with 67 coming and staring at me,
I am still proud to admit to anyone...
The best years of my life are yet to come.
But do you mind if I asked a question? '
No. No, go right ahead.
'I notice you've been keeping your fingers crossed.
Is there a reason for that?
Do you suffer from arthritis? '
Yes I do.
I didn't think anyone would notice.
'What do you take for it? '
Lots of prayer.
But I'm considering getting a rabbit's foot to wear.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~66~ by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(03 April 1964)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(18 November 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Happy Birthday stranger, ice johnson
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
Poem of the Day
- Petits morceaux, Lubinda Lubinda
- For Edgar Allan Poe With All Gratitude..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It Takes Tears to..., Rodney R. Cooper
- It Takes Tears, Rodney R. Cooper
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Don't leave me cozied-up homely, Mark Heathcote
- If You Were Here Today, Serena Blackinton
- Uncle Trevor's Solution, rohan bendre
- Trapped Inside, Pamela Carroll
- Two Green Points: Art Print by Wassily K.., Frank Avon