Lawrence S. Pertillar
I was not hoping I'd forget,
I turned 66.
It just seems that 65 came and left so quick,
Becoming 66 was like...
And 67 is just eleven years from 78!
And I remember thinking that being 80...
Had been for those who lived to be that age,
Were dinosaurs who survived...
And were on display in convalescent homes.
Hey, I was young then.
With only wishes to see 21.
And with that done I am now 66.
Without tricks or magic.
But with 67 coming and staring at me,
I am still proud to admit to anyone...
The best years of my life are yet to come.
But do you mind if I asked a question? '
No. No, go right ahead.
'I notice you've been keeping your fingers crossed.
Is there a reason for that?
Do you suffer from arthritis? '
Yes I do.
I didn't think anyone would notice.
'What do you take for it? '
Lots of prayer.
But I'm considering getting a rabbit's foot to wear.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~66~ by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Filtrate, Akhtar Jawad
- I am gajananmishra, gajanan mishra
- Winter, Neela Nath
- How wonder, gajanan mishra
- Fortunate enough, hasmukh amathalal
- To Bob Whelan on Discussing Pablo Neruda, Bill Grace
- Intense drive, hasmukh amathalal
- My totality, gajanan mishra
- The Other Side Of The Story, mary douglas
- Journey end, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Cause And Effect, Charles Bukowski
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)