A Birthday Trifle
Here in this gold-green evening end,
While air is soft and sky is clear,
What tender message shall I send
To her I hold so dear?
What rose of song with breath like myrrh,
And leaf of dew and fair pure beams
Shall I select and give to her—
The lady of my dreams?
Alas! the blossom I would take,
The song as sweet as Persian speech,
And carry for my lady’s sake,
Is not within my reach.
I have no perfect gift of words,
Or I would hasten now to send
A ballad full of tunes of birds
To please my lovely friend.
But this pure pleasure is my own,
That I have power to waft away
A hope as bright as heaven’s zone
On this her natal day.
May all her life be like the light
That softens down in spheres divine,
“As lovely as a Lapland night,”
All grace and chastened shine!
Henry Kendall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Birthday Trifle by Henry Kendall )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Leave Sorrow Behind, Paul Gerard Reed
- A LANDSCAPE IS AWAITING..., M.D Dinesh Nair
- الغابة السوداء, نزار قباني
- <<< Free Conscience, Abdul Wahab
- شموس, نزار قباني
- المعطف, نزار قباني
- You Are My Love, You Are My Heart, Radha.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Poem: Hymnody, Joseph James Breunig 3rd
- You Are My Love, You Are My Heart, Radha, Bijay Kant Dubey
- سايكولوجية قطة, نزار قباني