Cicely Fox Smith
A Castle In Spain
On a hill-top brown it stands:
One side, open tablelands
Stretch to meet the sky:
On the other, winding dales,
Prospects fair of hills and vales
All unfolded lie.
And within are colonnades;
Cool, dim aisles whose groin'd roof shades
From the noontide ray.
Silent courts and echoing halls
Where a fountain calls and calls
All the night and day.
And a tower my castle crowns,
Looking over breezy downs,
Uplands broad and free,
With its casements small and quaint
Open to the murmurs faint
Of the distant sea.
Best of all the dark alcove
With its view of park and grove:
Where the hum of bees
Floats into the low-ceil'd room
With the roses' sweet perfume
Borne upon the breeze.
And the gardens, fair and wide,
Stretch upon the sunny side
Many a terrace-ledge.
Yew-walks, ghostly, grey, and dim:
Ordered lawns and flower-beds trim,
To the streamlet's edge.
Such my castle in the air:
Yet I doubt if half so fair,
Were it true, 'twould seem.
Beauteous is, yet not so dear
As the world we live in here,
That of which I dream.
Cicely Fox Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Castle In Spain by Cicely Fox Smith )
- food walk, lee fones
- The Now., RAJ VIKRAM
- The technique of survival., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- A Gift Logic Can't Buy, Donal Mahoney
- Rain-A Mirror, RAJ VIKRAM
- My Hero, Electric Lady
- A Drive, Kai Wendland
- a heart full of love..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Poppy Flower, Zubair Ali
- Remembrance., RAJ VIKRAM
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)