Cicely Fox Smith
A Castle In Spain
On a hill-top brown it stands:
One side, open tablelands
Stretch to meet the sky:
On the other, winding dales,
Prospects fair of hills and vales
All unfolded lie.
And within are colonnades;
Cool, dim aisles whose groin'd roof shades
From the noontide ray.
Silent courts and echoing halls
Where a fountain calls and calls
All the night and day.
And a tower my castle crowns,
Looking over breezy downs,
Uplands broad and free,
With its casements small and quaint
Open to the murmurs faint
Of the distant sea.
Best of all the dark alcove
With its view of park and grove:
Where the hum of bees
Floats into the low-ceil'd room
With the roses' sweet perfume
Borne upon the breeze.
And the gardens, fair and wide,
Stretch upon the sunny side
Many a terrace-ledge.
Yew-walks, ghostly, grey, and dim:
Ordered lawns and flower-beds trim,
To the streamlet's edge.
Such my castle in the air:
Yet I doubt if half so fair,
Were it true, 'twould seem.
Beauteous is, yet not so dear
As the world we live in here,
That of which I dream.
Cicely Fox Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Castle In Spain by Cicely Fox Smith )
- Clean and sanitized., Ryan Brodesser
- Final Devotion, Saiom Shriver
- Goggles and Goggle-Box, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Promises, Madrason writer
- A Daily Paradox; A Lost Masterpiece, Patrick van der Loos
- A Dewy Pearl, Elia Michael
- Creative Animals, vaibhav bhardwaj
- That Beauty, Mpho Tsakata
- Oziyon Le Dawn living in the sun, Oziyon LeDawn
- Mind Over Matter, Patrick van der Loos
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns