Cicely Fox Smith
Why - can anybody say? -
Has upon my natal day
Nothing ever taken place
Of importance to the race?
Why has no one great or glorious,
Famous, or at least notorious -
Author, actor, or highwayman,
Poet, prophet, priest or layman,
Ever chosen to appear
Then on this sublunary sphere?
Battles have been lost or won,
Kingdoms fallen, reigns begun,
People been decapitated,
Shipwrecked, crowned, assassinated,
Every day, it seems, but one -
One by fickle fame passed by,
No one's anniversary,
One round which no splendours cluster
Such as shed a borrowed luster
On the birthdays of my friends . . .
Only - 'Partridge Shooting Ends.'
Cicely Fox Smith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Complaint by Cicely Fox Smith )
- Madness, Amy Welch
- And Yet You Just Watch, Asma Riaz Khan
- I've shot the poet, Yor Nella
- Death valley, sultan mahmud
- Under Wearmouth Bridge, Paul Gerard Reed
- Without Wanting..., Asma Riaz Khan
- Of Albert's Prayer, Adeosun Olamide
- Opera, Naveed Khalid
- Before the Big Bang, Harley White
- Insomnia, Naveed Khalid