A Doggerel Day
The raindrops on the rooftop pitter patter
And the wind the leaves on the verandah scatter
On this wild and wet January sunday in the Summer
The type of day the Aussies call a 'bummer'
Today lovers not out walking hand in hand together
One might say this is doggerel writing weather
For to scribble useless rhymes in moments of leisure
Not for wealth or fame but for one's own pleasure.
Just like our image in the mirror is reflected
It has been said by weather our mood is affected
But I for one don't see cause for complaining
And I feel happy even though it's raining
The neighbour and his wife are shouting at each other
She screams at him I will go home to mother
Yesterday in the sunshine they walked hand in hand together
Perhaps their crankiness due to the weather?
A doggerel day for the old doggerel writer
And in the house across the street now all seems quieter
And tomorrow of love they will be only talking
Whilst hand in hand out in the sunshine walking.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Doggerel Day by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Love Without Ownership (yeah right!), Monk E. Biz
- Fuzzy Fellow, Patrick Czyz
- Feel a human life!, Somanathan Iyer
- Last night, Krishna Shivkumar yadav
- Erotic Haiku, Krishna Shivkumar yadav
- Poetry Is Where You Find It IV, Frank Avon
- As major, hasmukh amathalal
- last spring, Krishna Shivkumar yadav
- Open it happily, hasmukh amathalal
- Footless though, gajanan mishra