A Failed Leadership
A path was drawn for his leadership,
No man had ever been more blessed,
Destined by God to loosen the grip
Of Philistine hold and grant Israel rest.
Born through the hand of the Almighty,
To a sterile woman and set apart for God,
A Nazirite from birth, strong physically,
He sadly grew up to be a stubborn lad.
He was weak with women and in character,
Devoid of respect and had a quick temper,
Prone to resolve all issues with anger
Through violent rage ending up with murder.
With all his physique, he failed to free
His land Israel from her captivity.
Revenge was his focus, his main agenda
Till he fell in love with sly Delilah.
Empty in the head and never had a plan,
Samson was a strong hunk but failed as a man.
Delilah had used him and with his sight gone,
He ended up a toy for the Philistine fun.
At the last minute, he prayed for God's mercy,
His strength was restored albeit in futility,
He died in his blindness physically
But then he saw Truth spiritually.
In the Book of Judges, he is remembered
As the man with potentials for great leadership,
Without God in his life, his purpose was hindered,
In death he lost that success from his grip.
There are Samsons today, in our times.
With all their knowledge, they engage in crime,
For strength and power, dollars and dimes,
Failed leadership is a generation's slime.
' 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit', says the Lord Almighty.'
ZECHARIAH 4: 6
Copyright Cynthia Buhain-Baello
Cynthia BuhainBaello's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Failed Leadership by Cynthia BuhainBaello )
- The Author To His Disconsolate Brother, Richard Brathwait
- God Visible In His Works, William Alexander
- An Invocation, William Alexander
- Aan Elegie On Dr. Ravis, Bishop of London, Richard Corbet
- Complaining Of His Want Of Friends, Edward Hake
- No Gold No Goodnesse, Edward Hake
- Priyo keu nei, Golam Rashid
- Surprise form, hasmukh amathalal
- The Jackalope Man Migrates, Bruce Larkin
- Wally the Warlock's Cauldron, Bruce Larkin
Poem of the Day
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1927)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns