A Game Of Chance
Do you have dreams that you may cease to be?
Have you a plan that may not see its end?
Then say hello to a world of fate that you can't see,
and kay sa ra and what the hell is happening, my friend.
In gambling, it's termed a game of chance,
in insurance, it's just a risk you take -
and while they frolic in the nude in France,
You may or may not...have that slice of cake.
It's the spin of the dice, that rules tomorrow,
It's the cards that fall, just who knows where -
that determines whether it be joy or sorrow,
and whether or not you'll you'll cry or care.
Lady luck, she's just a figment of your mind,
If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all -
and as the memories of happiness unwind,
let's hope you cash them in before you fall.
Life's a token, no pot of gold is there for taking,
It's a shoot-out all the way, a game of win or lose -
It's your planning, struggling in the making,
It's yours to grasp whatever way you choose.
Let's hope you find it, before it kills you,
Before the dreams and plans all turn to dust;
Before goals have died with the morning dew,
and all you've had and done has turned to rust.
david lessard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Game Of Chance by david lessard )
- Jadavpur University Campus And The Lefti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Excellence, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Chains, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- New Dawn, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Stolen Ancient Landmark, Sir Toby
- The Book O' Life, Sir Toby
- Performing To Do Well, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Wear a Cons Smile, Kevin Patrick
- Being aware, hasmukh amathalal
- Needed, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)