The sun is sinking,
Melting atop many-windowed bricks,
Like tangerine-painted ice shavings
From the corner cart.
The ice cream truck loops around the block,
Like a self-winding music box.
Sirens clamor for a solo,
While birds warble from their choir lofts.
Powerline to powerline,
Rooftop to Rooftop
And an occasional tree.
I smell dinner wafting out the cracks:
Corner pizza, hot oil, corn tortillas, cilantro
And red meat.
Bruised bricks embrace weary welding.
Plaster bleeds black at its creases
Like a sweating chimney sweep.
Westward, Cheery glass rectangles wink
Like geometric jewels glimmering.
And though these fool’s gold treasures
Will shed their shimmer like ice shavings
Spilling onto the sidewalk,
When open-mouthed shadows
Quench their thirst,
I welcome the tangerine veneer
Capping hungry interiors.
“Stop snitching Spanish Harlem.”
Spelled across an adjacent ledge.
Concrete reads like loose-leaf paper, Here.
But I won’t tell.
Soft lavender blankets hush the horizon,
Tucking in tenements like El Barrio children.
One misplaced white brushstroke above
Bookmarks a jet’s feathered silhouette.
Pale green steeples stretch.
Curved pipes shrug their shoulders.
Dusk rubs her eyes and rises,
While tires hum their lullabies
On 116th Street beneath.
It is time for these buildings to brush their teeth.
Descent is beckoning from the yawning stairwell.
But it’s this dirty silver girder,
A ‘once ghetto’s’ tightrope,
Slicing one diagonal
Amongst these squares,
That has become my seat.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Lullaby by Emily Dawn )
- Dangerous Curiosity, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To My First Love, Naveed Khalid
- She, Naveed Khalid
- Healing Woman, Md. Ziaul Haque
- mithilak varnan, sushant jha
- Separation is Bliss Sometimes, Md. Ziaul Haque
- An Epitaph, Naveed Khalid
- Post-postmodern Love, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To You... My Precious being, Niken Kusuma Wardani
- Who can Love You More than Me?, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)